A few days ago on DeviantArt I really enjoyed reading the Gratitude journal written by $techgnotic ([link] and felt I could reply to it by answering one of the questions asked at the end of it.
What are the five things, art-related, that you are most grateful for on an ongoing daily basis?
- The first thing I am grateful for and have to give thanks is for all the help and support I got along the way of becoming the professional artist I am today. It wasn't easy and took blood and sweat but I couldn't have made it without the people believing in my potential to give me the courage to go on and reach for my dream. I also have to be thankful for all the people who doubted me for giving me the resolution to prove them wrong, that I could do this no matter what.
- Most of all I am grateful to be able to live from my art. Many artists are doing their work as a side line and have to keep a day job in order to pay their bills. I'm of the few lucky ones who are able to work at this full time. It's scary to be self employed and you're never fully secured but it gives you the freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want. I'm happy that people love my work enough so that my craft brings me bread and butter while fulfilling my passion every day.
- I am grateful for my health: my two hands that manifest my skill, and my eyes that allow my soul to be filled with all the beautiful colors of this world, nature, other artist's work and so on. I sometimes wonder what I'd do if I'd lose the physical capacity to do the work I do and all the answers I can find are of creative nature. If I'd lose my hands I would paint otherwise. If I go blind I'd play music. But I am thankful for my full body capacity and I try to honor that as much as possible by keeping my body healthy and clean.
- I am grateful to live in this modern age where information and knowledge is so readily available. You can get started at learned basically whatever you want in a matter of minutes with a book or the internet. Lessons and schools are open to everyone. In the same line of tough, this modern world brings a variety or affordable art media to explore to all my content. I'm sure many or the great masters would envy us for the versatility available to even small children.
- Last but not least, I am grateful for having the opportunity to share ideas and co-create with and for many interesting people. It's the most rewarding part of my job to share people's happiness when they walk out with their brand new ink. It's also very interesting to have the time to actually get to know your customers. You get to hear about their lives, their passion, their goals and it all feel very organic, very human.
So for this artist's life I am grateful. Thank you
Answers about tattoos and commissions
My online journal
Everything about me and my work
RubyMoon also on :